7.24.2012
My Home
I have lived on Yap for about 3 years and have fallen in love with the land and people. I have learned so much about myself and have been spoiled rotten with kindness. Yes, it's true, in the beginning things were a bit rough, but once I learned how to handle the mosquitoes, husk a coconut, grow local food, and stopped worrying about differences, things fell into place.
At some point, I stopped thinking of Yap as a foreign, exotic island in the middle of the Pacific. I know that I will be returning to Yap frequently because this where many of my family and friends are. This is where my fiance is from. This is where I was given a chance to do anything I wanted and be anyone I wanted to be. This is the place where I learned some hard lessons. Along the way, I have been blessed with being able to help with so many projects. I can't wait to see how the Yap Living History Museum develops, see what some of my students grow up to be, see if those outer island coconut trees will grow in the red hills of Tomil and see what contributions others will make to the island.
It is my highest hope that Yap will remain a place where people "live in harmony with nature." I know that change is inevitable, but I do hope it will be on the terms of the people of Yap and not a foreign entity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment