11.29.2009

It's a Small World After All...

Happy Thanksgiving!
My family had a celebration for Thanksgiving (normally the holiday is not celebrated in Yap). We had turkey, stuffing, taro, pumpkin pie bars & mashed potatoes. I was in charge of the mashed potatoes. It was an amazing day, and following American tradition, I ate way too much! Then on Saturday, a big group of expats and friends had a Thanksgiving celebration. It was just as amazing with all the traditional plates. I met a gentlemen that was from Austira! Not too far from Graz.
I also met a girl working as a teacher at SDA that studied at Karl Franzen Universitat. Even on Yap, it's a small world!

I've been teaching for almost a month now. Everyday is a challenge and I have developed a special appreciation for teachers world wide. My classes are small and the kids are great. But they are very energetic and classroom management drains the energy out of me everyday. Besides rowdy kids, following the curriculum has been challenging. Creating lesson plans from what materials we have and trying to find materials that relate to life here in Yap has been difficult.

Up until now I have not been sick. Last night & today I have been very sick, with a stomach ache & a sore throat. Also, the water here that we use to bathe in has been irritating my skin-so I'm a mess today.

I found out from my mom, that my grandmother, Takako, is from Hakodate, Hokkiado Japan (the most northern island). I'm very exicted about this and I plan to visit possibly this summer. I don't know that much about the city, but I've read online that there are hiking trails and hot springs. I'm eager for summer to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment