
Well, I went through with it! :) I made it through training and I this past Friday I swore into the Peace Corps. It was a really great experience. All of the trainees, now volunteers, gave speeches, danced & sang for the PC staff & the community. It was a little different because we were the only ones dressed in local attire. But I think we all had a fun time. The next day a few of us went to Mop and spent an evening there. Mop is a beautiful & quiet place & I think I will be going there again!
I did put "squares" over us ladies to cover us up, even though we were pretty covered the entire swearing-in ceremony. Now, the outer islanders will be leaving to finally go to their sites! I'm excited for them, but said to say goodbye to friends.
Hi Laura... My wife and I graduated from UNO in 1973 (also in Speech Communication), got married, and went into the Peace Corps from 1974-76 in Chuuk. Coming from Omaha, it's a life-changing experience. Since then, we've maintained interests in Micronesia, traveled extensively in Asia (and around the world after PC), and now live in Hawaii. Good luck and enjoy your time in Yap. Aloha...
ReplyDeleteGreg and Karen Knudsen
Thanks for the post! It's encouraging to hear from RPCV-especially ones from Omaha!
ReplyDelete